Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cigarettes

I published this one on Teen Ink. I doubt they will mind if I put it here- Its only on their website, anyways. It is my favorite poem. Its really personal for me and the feeling I get when I read it again and again always comes- A feeling of sober realization mixed with the want to still protect the person it is about. It will probably never go away. I hope it doesn't. That's what poetry is all about, having a feeling or dream and struggling to put it into words for the sake of your sanity.

Please do not steal or copy my work.

Cigarettes

My darling.

I started my laundry.

Methodically pulling out items to add,

Until I came across something that smelt like you.

The glorious scent of cigarettes, and simple love.

I was afraid to add the item, to let the lingering,

Tantalizing essence of you be destroyed.

So very afraid.


I do not think you understand,

How your sleepy, dreamers eyes ensnare me,

Your self-conscious smile lets forth

The wells that harbor my adoration.

I feel like a broken Ferris wheel going up,

Into bliss, glimpsing hope,

And going down,

Realizing that the ride is over.

Do you remember when you slept on the floor?

I didn’t want to wake you and it was then

That I wanted to protect you.

It was then that I cracked.

Nothing that beautiful can last forever.

I knew that, and yet,

You were worth this feeling,

As I take in my new addiction of cigarette smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment